The research group „Multimedia Communication (MMC)“ was founded and is being led by Prof. Hermann Hellwagner. Assoc.Prof. Christian Timmerer is now co-lead of the group.
The research activities of the group are in the areas of
- Adaptive video streaming: Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP (DASH)
- Multimedia Quality of Service/Experience (QoS/QoE)
- 360° video and point cloud streaming over 5G; edge computing
- Multimedia content distribution in Information-Centric Networks (ICN)
- Standardization within ISO/IEC MPEG
- Communication in UAV systems
The focus of the MMC group is clearly on adaptive delivery of audio-visual contents.
The group actively participates in several international and national research projects on all levels, ranging from basic research to application-oriented projects and direct cooperation with industry.
In teaching, the MMC group covers the technical courses of the Informatics study programme such as Computer Organization, Operating Systems, Computer Networks, Servers and Clusters, Multimedia Technology, and Adaptive Media Streaming.